Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Main page Content

Our school

In 1881 local residents from Two Mile judged Central and One Mile schools were too far for Two Mile children to travel to. Community members considered ways and means of providing education for local children.

In 1881, an application was made to the government for a school to be built at Two Mile.

In 1883, the building was completed. The site was a field where in days gone by members of the Corella, Curra and Gap tribes had gathered for annual corroborees.

At the back of the school site the land was pitted with prospectors' and miners' shafts and with the undergrowth this provided energetic youngsters a ready made adventure playground.

On the opening day in 1883, 103 children were crammed into the 34 ft by 18 ft unpainted and unsealed shingle-roofed school building with no outside shelter in the advent of bad weather.

It was an important date for on that day serious schooling began for many families whose descendants have made their marks, both in the district and the outside world.

The early years of the new school were difficult. Many students were unwilling and there was a regular turnover of staff. Within the first two years the head master and three of the staff left and one teacher left on extended sick leave.

In 1884, Mr and Mrs Richard Avenell were appointed to Two Mile State School and under them the school prospered.

Following the Avenells were a number of fine teachers at Two Mile State School including Mr Gower, Mr David Freeman and Mr Allan Nash.

Mr Nash first came to Two Mile State School as a trainee teacher in 1895. He later returned as head teacher in 1910. Mr Nash was a dedicated and enthusiastic worker.  He developed strong bonds with the community and saw the school prosper with grounds improvements and the building of a tennis court. Mr Nash was also a captain of the local Light Horse.

Sadly, Mr Nash was killed at Gallipoli while leading his Light Horse. A British oak tree planted by Mr Nash still flourishes at the front of the school, the school also has a monument to Mr Nash and all fallen servicemen.

In its time Two Mile State School has faced the fury of mother nature. The school has regularly had its grounds inundated with flood water. The record flooding of 1999 saw one store room flooded and classrooms threatened.

Another occasion when the school faced natures forces occurred when shortly after celebrating its 75th anniversary the old school was blown from its foundations.

Through the early excitement of the gold rush, two world wars and the ravages of nature Two Mile State School has stood strong and maintained its reputation as a school where children strive to achieve academically and personally. Today's students are proud of their school and enjoy contributing to the schools development.